Friday, April 22, 2011

Why Being a Child Sponsor is So Important to Me

People have asked me why I sponsor so many children. And a friend even said, "You were born to be a sponsor!" I have always wanted to adopt and planned to adopt from an early age but once I started sponsoring one child, I became hooked and wanted a big sponsored family :)My very first sponsored child was a little boy named Joseph and I don't even remember which country he was from but he was from Africa. I felt like I was making a small difference in his life as I saw changes in his photos and read about him in his letters.

The most important reason that I sponsor is because it is one way to make a positive difference in the life of a child who needs help. There is no greater blessing for me than to put food into the mouth of a hungry child or provide clothes, medicine, and an education, to help them become more self sufficient. I grew up in a family that struggled to make ends meet and someone was there to help, to offer their hand to help us when we were in need. So I want to do the same for as many kids as I can.

I feel like it is making an investment in a child which will improve his or her life now and in the long run. Our children are our future and I feel like all kids belong to us as we are all the family of mankind under one Creator who loves each and everyone. We belong to each other, regardless of race, culture, country, and this is a way to be a part of His great work, as we help one another :)

Another reason that I sponsor is because of the personal connection that I can make with a child which will hopefully make that child a kinder and more compassionate person. Many of these children are faced with obstacles and circumstances which could make them bitter and hopeless but sponsorship can give them hope and the realization that someone does care. Hopefully these will take root in their lives and they in return will have a great love and compassion for others. What the world needs now is love, sweet love.

Last but not least this is a chance for me to just give and be a friend to a child who needs a friend. I enjoy being in this role as opposed to being in the disciplinarian role that I have at school much of the time as a teacher. I can let my hair down and just be that big sister or "Aunty" as some of them refer to me as. It is a chance to really enjoy making a child smile and I love that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment