Saturday, April 30, 2011

Chance to Share

This past week I had chance to share where I was going and why when I was at the drugstore purchasing small tubes of toothpaste, dental floss, hand sanitizers, toothbrushes for the families. The cashier asked if I was planning a trip and I had a chance to share. She was very supportive and wished me well.

Today I did a little shopping to get new clothes for the trip. I rarely shop for clothes but I was trying to find something that had bright colors for the children and the lady liked the colors so I told her that I was taking a trip to South America. She told me about her daughter who did missions work in Colombia and Costa Rica at several orphanages. The lady herself wanted to go but was unable to due to doctor's concerns about her health. We had a nice conversation about Children International as a result and she also said that she would pray for me. The cashiers here at this store are very nice because one of them prayed for me before I had major surgery.

Then at the hairdresser I mentioned that I wanted to know what to do because I was planning a trip in June to a place that was very hot and my hair does not do very well in humidity and heat! So the conversation turned to where I was going in S. America and why. This lady seemed to be a little rude though because she wanted to know why I selected S. America to sponsor children, and if I sponsored in the USA. It was kind of accusatory. I then mentioned that I felt that the poor children in the USA had more support through various programs than in other countries that I sponsored in and I also mentioned that I have sponsored Native American children in the past. She then says that she wanted to know if I sponsored real American children and I was a little puzzled because to my knowledge Native Americans were Americans! It was a strange conversation!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment