Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Photos and Random Thoughts

Believe it or not I still have a few more photos of Bleidis and Maria that I need to post. They were on my phone and I have a few more photos of Yiseth and Nelson, I think, and photos of the hotel, as well as a few more videos of the city. I'll try to finish them all by this week or next.

Random Thoughts about the Trip




I keep hearing the cheers of the children on the plane, when we finally landed in Cartagena after being delayed in the air due to a disabled plane on the ground at the airport.

I keep hearing the children whispering excitedly, "Cartagena! Cartagena! There's Cartagena!"

I remember gazing at the beautiful city as we flew in and then later seeing the sad poverty stricken areas that my children live in.

I still find tiny bits of glitter on some of my belongings, from Bleidis and Maria who had it sprinkled in their hair.

I miss the sweet aroma of the city of Cartagena and sound of people singing loudly in the early morning hours. It didn't matter if I only had one or two hours of sleep :)

I even miss the crazy driving, the impatient honking of horns of cars and people dodging to get out of the way.

I miss seeing people everywhere in Cartagena and in Barranquilla, just the mass of humanity.

I keep seeing the joy expressed on the face of the young man who worked for CI in Barranquilla. He was a former sponsored child.

I remember that wild and crazy ride to Barranquilla and me holding on for dear life, praying to make it there and back.

I miss the fact that I can't wear my favorite pair of earrings now, because one was eaten by a horse that nibbled on my ear when I came too close to it, in the Old City!

I remember the panic I felt when I thought that I had lost my camera one time and then my purse, another time.

I wonder what the children are doing during different parts of the day now, and wondering how little Maria is doing in the heat. She was always perspiring so much when we were outside and little Francisco only had that one fan to cool the family off in their home.

I wonder if little Melanie, Yiseth's little sister, liked her presents. I did not meet her but wonder what she is like.

I keep seeing Francisco's bright wide eyes when our eyes met and I keep seeing Sonia running as she came around the corner, our eyes locking when we met on the first day. I won't forget that hug.

I wonder how Nelson and Yiseth will smile when they realize that Nelson now has a sponsor. I wonder how they will talk excitedly about the letters they will both get from their sponsor now.

I worry about Bleidis, and hope that she is eating properly, seeing that her mom had to feed her lunch when I was there.


I miss hearing the sounds of the people marching down the streets in Cartagena, when it was so hot as they waved little red and white flags because the Colombian president was coming to their city.

I miss the friendly, patient smiles of the Colombian people who were nice to this American, who did not know what she was doing!!

And most of all, I can't wait until the day when I can return to see the children again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment